Policed by: Devon & Cornwall Police
The following table and graphs show you crime and ASB breakdowns and trends for Perranporth.
|ASB||Burglary||Robbery||Vehicle||Violent||Shoplifting||CD&A||Other Theft||Drugs||Bike Theft||Theft From the Person||Weapons||Public Order||Other||Total|
Crime Plus ASB Breakdown for Perranporth
Crime Type and ASB Charts for Perranporth
In September 2011, Other Crime was divided into 6 categories - Drugs, Public Disorder & Weapons (which was later split further and so is not displayed here), Criminal Damage & Arson (CD&A), Theft - Shoplifting, Theft-Other and Other.
From May 2013, the following changes were made to the crime categories:
I) The violent crime category was renamed "violence and sexual offences"
2) A new category for "bicycle theft" was created which previously fell within "other theft"
3) A new category for "theft from the person" was created which previously fell within "other theft"
4) Public disorder and weapons were then split into two new categories; "public order" and "possession of weapons"
5) Both "other firearms offences" and "other knives offences" which were in "other crime" were moved into "possession of weapons".
The Economic Policy Centre www.economicpolicycentre.com has made every effort in order to ensure that the data for UkCrimeStats is accurate and up to date. However, we are aware of certain deficiencies in this data which are beyond our control. That's because as a 3rd party developer, we do not collect the data, the Police do who then hand it over to another data company to release to 3rd party developers such as ourselves. We only download and analyse it so that you can use it. For full detail of these deficiencies, please read here.
Cubert Parish lies on the north coast of Cornwall, five miles west of Newquay. The Parish is the northernmost parish of the former district of Carrick.
Cubert is the main village of the Parish but there are several hamlets, the largest being:
With a population of over 1200, Cubert has its own post office stores, seasonal stores (at Holywell), fish and chip shop (seasonal), two restaurant as well as three pubs/restaurants within the Parish area.
Every second Wednesday of each month
The Village Hall Cubert Newquay Cornwall TR8 5HA
26th August 2020 7:00 pm
The Council meet on the second and last Monday of each month, if there happens to be a Bank Holiday, the meeting is then held on the following evening.
The Planning meeting begins at 6.30pm with public participation from 6.30pm to 6.40pm. The Full Council meeting begins at 7.00pm with public participation time from 7.00pm to 7.10pm. If there is no public participation the meetings then commence promptly on the hour.
The Council building is open to the public from 9am to 1pm Monday to Friday. The contact telephone number is: 01872 572727.
28th August 2020 6:30 pm
St. Newlyn East Parish Council meet on the 2nd Monday of every month, with the exception of August, in the Hawken Rowse Room at St. Newlyn East Village Hall. Meetings start at 7.30pm unless otherwise stated.
St. Newlyn East Village Hall 1 Neeham Road St. Newlyn East Newquay Cornwall TR8 5LE
31st August 2020 7:30 pm
The local parish council meet monthly to discuss any issues or problems in the area.
7th September 2020 12:00 pm
Mount Hawke Parish council meet monthly to discuss any problems or issues that may accur in the area.
7th September 2020 7:00 pm
Perranporth (Cornish: Porthpyran) is a village on the north coast of Cornwall, England, in the United Kingdom, 6 miles (9.7 km) south-west of the surfing resort of Newquay and 6 miles north-east of that at Porthtowan.
The village has a fine links golf course and a civil airfield suitable for visitors arriving by private plane. Perranporth has a population of 3,066. The village, and its large sandy beach, face the Atlantic, with hundreds of miles of uninterrupted fetch producing large waves, making it one of the most popular surfing destinations, along with neighbouring breaks at Newquay, Chapel Porth and Porthtowan.
At low tide the sands extend up to Ligger Point, 2 miles (3 km) to the north. The village's name is Cornish for "Saint Piran's cove". Saint Piran is the patron saint of Cornwall and his white-on-black cross features on the county's flag.
It is believed that Saint Piran founded the church near to Perranporth (the "Lost Church") in the seventh century. Buried under sand for many centuries, it was unearthed early in the twentieth century, but again left to the mercy of the sands in the 1970s.
Plans are now afoot to make it accessible once more. During the 1999 solar eclipse, Perranporth was the one of the places in the country that was known to have a clear view of totality. Perranporth hosts an inter-Celtic festival each October, Lowender Peran, drawing people in from all six of the Celtic nations.
Perranporth is a family holiday destination. There is a lifeguard service on the beach from May to September. The beach is generally safe for bathing but there are dangerous rip currents around Chapel Rock on a falling tide. The sand dunes (Penhale Sands) adjacent to the northern part of the beach are used for orienteering championships.
There is also an army training camp and golf course here. The southern end of the beach is backed by dramatic cliffs, with natural arches and stacks, and tin-mining adits. This headland is called Droskyn Point, and on top of it is a youth hostel with views of the coast and a large sundial, situated beside the South West Coast Path.
The well-known motor engineer and designer Donald Healey was born and died in Perranporth. The author Winston Graham lived in Perranporth for many years and his famous Poldark novels, which were televised, starring Robin Ellis and Angharad Rees as Ross and Demelza, are based on the history of the area and its local families. "Hendrawna Sands" in the novels is Perranporth beach.
Cubert is an inland village with an unusual church in that its spire and tower are more or less equal in height. The village is named after the Welsh missionary St Cubert who, as a companion of St Carantoc, brought the Christian faith to this part of Cornwall, and to whom the church is dedicated. Unlike his companion St Carantoc - who travelled on to Brittany - St Cubert returned to Wales becoming abbot of his monastery and, according to the Welsh Chronicles, dying in 775 A.D. Started in the 14th century, the church of St Cuthbert has undergone various restorations, not least in the mid 1800s after lightening struck both the tower and the spire. Nearby is the holiday resort of Holywell Bay. As the name denotes, there is indeed a holy well here. In fact there are two. One spring can only be reached at low tide due to its location in a beach cave. Many people have come here over the years seeking its supposed curative powers. Another is accessed via two ornate arched doorways revealing stone seats where one can sit and listen to the gurgling water.
St Newlyn East
St Newlyn East (Cornish: Eglosniwlin) The parish of St Newlyn East, (usually abbreviated to Newlyn East) is about five miles south of Newquay.
The parish is named after the patron saint of the church, St. Newlina and has a small population (since last census) of 1390 people.
The Lappa Valley Steam Railway tourist attraction operates here. At Trerice is the Tudor mansion of the Arundells now in the care of the National Trust. The church was founded in Norman times and rededicated in 1259. Most of the present building is of the 14th and 15th centuries.
There is a fine Norman font. On 9 July 1846 a disaster at the East Wheal Rose mine was caused by an unusually heavy thunderstorm which lasted an hour and a quarter. It flooded the mine and thirty-nine of the miners - mainly inhabitants of the village and its immediate vicinity, were drowned.
The mine was eventually closed in 1881. After the disaster, villagers of St. Newlyn East worked together and dug a pit in remembrance of the miners who died. The pit is still there today, and has been used frequently for church meetings and tea gatherings etc. When the pit was actually made, it was also used for Cornish wrestling, and was recently re-dug and made more usable with funding from the National Lottery Fund.
The original name for Mitchell was Medeschole and the first mention of the village was in a court case in 1234, establishing the legal status of an annual market on St Francis's day.